So, my friend Hannah makes this killer vegan chocolate torte (thanks to Oh She Glows).
A few months ago, she brought a few slices to our Modo Yoga teacher training. Suffice to say, it was gone within seconds.
Partially because we were all craving chocolate the entire month; mostly because it was the best chocolate pie (vegan or not) that we’d ever had.
Here’s the recipe:
¾ cup hazelnuts
¼ cup coconut oil (or butter, if you’re not vegan)
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 ½ cups cashews, soaked for at least 2 – 4 hours
¾ cup maple syrup
½ cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a food processor, blend ½ cup of rolled oats until it’s roughly the texture of flour; place in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same machine, process the hazelnuts into a fine crumb.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, salt and oat flour and process again until it starts to resemble dough.
- Add the remaining cup of rolled oats and pulse until chopped.
- The dough should be a little bit sticky. If not, add a little maple syrup.
- Press the dough firmly into the base of the pie dish, starting from the middle and moving outward and upward along the sides.
- Poke a few fork holes into the bottom so air doesn’t get trap.
- Bake the crust uncovered for 10 to 13 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cashews.
- In a blender, combine the cashews, maple syrup, oil, cocoa powder, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Blend on high until the filling is smooth. If the mixture seems dry, add a little (almond) milk.
- Pour the filling into the crust and garnish with whatever you like (I add chocolate covered quinoa and walnuts).
- Place the torte uncovered in the freezer for a couple of hours, then cover and freeze overnight — or for four to six hours.
- Take out of the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Want a private lesson or to sign up for the mailing list? Write to me in the comment box below!